OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:06:37 -0500
Hi Al,

I've birded the east and west ends of this stretch several times over the
last couple of years.  There are often very large numbers of gulls and
waterfowl here, especially in late fall and early spring; Lesser
Black-backed Gull and Glaucous Gull are among the interesting species I've
seen.  The beach gets some shorebirds in season, including Sanderling and
Ruddy Turnstone, and Piping Plover has been found here at least once.  I
suspect it will get more coverage now that it's all officially part of this
preserve.  Many of the birders from out of state who come to visit Magee
Marsh and other migrant hotspots in spring stay in hotels in Port Clinton,
and if the lakefront preserve is publicized, I expect that many of those
visitors will check it out and we'll get more interesting reports.  It's
significant news for birders partly because only 16 percent of Ohio's Lake
Erie shoreline is accessible to the public, so we have only a limited number
of spots from which to bird the lakeshore.  It appears that hiking through
this whole area will be an easy and worthwhile thing to do.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio