OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:02:25 -0800
Yesterday I did some birding in E Mahoning Co.  First stop was Evans L., which again had lots of gulls.  Birds there included gadwalls, ring-necked ducks, 50 hooded mergansers, ruddy ducks, c. loon, 8 pied-billed grebes, 100 Am. coots, Bonaparte's gull, 1000+ ring-billed gulls, 50+ herring gulls, an ad. lesser black-backed gull, and golden-crowned kinglet.  Next I checked Pine L. which held Am. black ducks, Am. wigeon, n. shovelers, hooded mergansers, 70 ruddy ducks, bald eagle, and n. mockingbird.  I figured I was done birding then, and went to Poland to pick up a prescription on the way home.  As soon as I parked the car, I noticed Am. crows were streaming towards their evening roost somewhere to the northwest (towards Youngstown).  There was a river of crows passing over!  I began counting/estimating the numbers, it took several minutes at least for the entire flock to go by.  The final tally was 3000 birds, by far the largest count I've had
 around here.  Later, Craig