OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Ann Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:53:43 -0500
Sorry for the late post, but my computer would not let me on the internet (?).  Over the last 3 days, Shaune Skinner, Joan Frederick, and I have seen a total of 26 Bald Eagles.  During Sunday's Ottawa NWR auto tour (7-8 miles N of Oak Harbor between SR 2 and Lake Erie), we counted 14 (mix of adults and juveniles).  We witnessed one of the adults sitting atop a tree in the sunlight spreading his/her wings like a vulture does.  Anybody ever seen this ?  Yesterday, we saw an additional 1 adult at Sheldon's Marsh (between Sandusky and Huron near Lake Erie shore), then 8 juveniles at Killdeer Plains and 3 adults at Big Island Wildlife Areas.  Killdeer is approx. 6-7 miles west of US 23 taking SR 294 thru Harpster, and Big Island is approx. 5-6 miles east of La Rue along La Rue-Prospect Road. The eight eagles at Killdeer were all sitting together in 2 adjacent trees on the north side of the large wetland along CH 68 (park at lot J).  Other birds at these areas were as follows:

Sheldon Marsh:

Sharp-Shinned Hawk - 1
Great Blue Heron - 2
Red-Bellied Woodpecker - 1