OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:09:14 -0500
Linda came along to keep me company as I did some preliminary scouting for routes on the Hoover Reservoir Circle Christmas Bird Count. That's right folks, it's just around the corner. One stop was at Area S, also known as the "Soaring Club Field" which is located off E. Walnut Street on the east side of Hoover Reservoir in northern Franklin County. As soon as we entered the pine grove I began hearing Red-breasted Nuthatches in all directions. I "pished" to call one in and we immediately were surrounded by about 20 of them and they were very vocal. As they sounded off with their nasal call Linda implied I "pished" something I probably should take back. A miniature version of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. These tiny birds were not shy, coming to within a foot of us. There were more of them in the grove that we could hear in the distance and with luck they will still be around for the CBC.

Cheap plug time:
The Hoover Reservoir Circle Christmas Bird Count will be Saturday, December 19, 2009. We would enjoy having you join us as we search for our feathered friends. Contact me directly if you have questions or are interested.

Take the time to check the Audubon web site for counts in your own area. We have over 50 CBC Circles in Ohio and one of them likely is convenient to participate in. Every Circle Compiler can use, and greatly appreciates any and all help they can get from the birding community. Whether you are a seasoned veteran (us gray haired types with Medicare Cards in our wallets) or a new birder, you can be very helpful and at the same time make contacts within the birding community. After all, we are a friendly group - we flock together.
[Even my wife groaned at that line].

Everyone have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving Holiday and remember there are birds besides turkey.

Charlie Bombaci
=