OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2009 03:57:11 -0500
It's been a while since I reported anything happening in the Big Island area.  Or anything for that matter, a combination of a lot of work and a lot of fall color to photograph and a laptop computer that gave up the ghost...while I was in the middle of processing all of that great fall color... :-D  But I wanted to let the raptor lovers out there know that the Eagles are low and the Harriers are high over at Big Island WA.  One day during the week, I saw a couple fighting over something. Sort of like watching a dogfight...very impressive!

Other raptors are the usual Red Tailed, and Kestrels.  No short eared owls yet.  I don't know when I will be out to go looking for them.  I have a lot of Saturday OT until March so my time is limited.  I talked with a fellow birdwatcher that is a science teacher over at the local high school and he said that he was certain that he saw an Osprey hanging out over in the WA within the past couple of weeks.  He hasn't seen it since and postulated that it was a migrant.

Other raptors to report in the general area  I saw a Harrier chasing a Rabbit today over on Winnimac Pike right outside of LaRue.  And as I was continuing on to work as I was approaching Byhalia I saw what looked like a Merlin, in a one in a million sight, going around a farmhouse like it was a fighter jet...obviously after something.  If the farmer had come out of his door at the time I'm sure that he would have had more than a close up view of such a magnificent bird.

And now, if you will permit me...; in keeping with the change of seasons, For those interested, a link to picture of a friends field that I took and my "Ode" to Fall:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/NikonCafe/After_The_Harvest_1.jpg

The Trees Will Soon Be Sleeping

The rake is put away.
The salt and shovel are by the door...
The trees will soon be sleeping.

The beans are in the silos.
But farmers are not resting...
For the corn is almost dry.

Frost is on the pumpkin...
The birds are heading south.
I dig my scraper out...again.

My pancakes will taste good again.
And the waffles will as well...
Grade B Amber will soon be flowing.

As quick as Fall arrived,
Its passing seemed almost faster...
I hate to see it go.

The rake is put away.
The salt and shovel are by the door...
The trees will soon be sleeping.
.
.
.
Your life is like the seasons,
From your first day to the last.
Be sure to know which way you're going,
Before your last...has passed.

Have a great day and I'll see you out there.

Steve