OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:49:14 -0500
The second Lake Erie Pelagic took place today.  It again took off from the
Cuyahoga River and this time went east along the lakefront out to about
Euclid.  Weather again was excellent for mid-November.  the skies were
cloudy and the winds were mild.

There were a lot more red-breasted mergansers flying mainly east of
Cleveland.  Several thousand were seen.  there were quite a few Bonaparte's
gulls all along the lake and large numbers of ring-billed gulls in Cleveland
Harbor.

We saw a number of great things.  Here are the highlights:

White-winged scoter- a white-winged scoter was observed along the shoreline
east of Cleveland.

Black-crowned night-heron- 5 were observed along the banks of the Cuyahoga
river.

Bald eagle- an adult bald eagle was seen along the shoreline east of
Cleveland.

Merlin- there was an incredibly cooperative merlin sitting on a sailboat at
the Edgewater Yacht Club.  The bird sat in the same place for over a half
hour allowing great looks and lots of chances for photos.  we ended up
having to dock at the yacht club because a bridge at the mouth of the river
got stuck in the lowered position.  We ended up having to get off at the
yacht club and get ferried back and forth to get our cars.  The merlin more
than made up for the inconvenience.

Peregrine falcon- an adult was sitting on the outer breakwall.

Purple sandpiper- feeding along the rocks at the east end of the outer
breakwall.   It allowed some great looks.

Pomarine jaeger- a very dark pomarine jaeger was observed sitting on the
lake north of Euclid.  The bird got up flew past our bow heading west giving
great looks.

Jaeger spp.- an unidentified jaeger was observed for out on the lake north
of the mouth of the river.  It was too far to ID

Snow buntings- a group of 4 snow buntings was seen along the west breakwall

Again, many thanks to all involved, Bob Faber, Black Swamp Bird Observatory,
and the crew of the Holiday.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081