OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:51:24 -0800
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood Areas of the Cleveland Lakefront State Park on the east side of Cleveland Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday was very windy but there was a variety of birds but no warblers.  The highlight was five Fox Sparrows.  Sunday was a better warbler day but only found one Fox Sparrow.  Saturday I was there 12:00 to 2:50pm.  Sunday 10:00am to 3pm.  Jeanne Hrenko joined me today from around 11:30 to 1:15pm.  I saw one Orange-crowned Warbler around 11am and thought I saw two flying away.  Then after awhile they was gone.  Then after 1:30pm they were active again.  There appeared to be many more Orange-crowned Warblers than I could tell.  I finally saw two together in the afternoon but they were definitely not the only ones.  Here are the highlights of both days:

Pied-billed Grebe 1 (10/31)
Great-blue Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 2 (10/31, 1 seen 11/1)
Cooper's Hawk 1 (found by Jeanne today in tree)
American Coot 1 (10/31)
Belted Kingfisher 1 both days
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 very probable found by Jeanne at a far distance flying to a tree- we both saw Sapsucker markings on back & head
American Crows 5 (11/1)
Tufted Titmouse  2
Brown Creepers 2 both days
Winter Wrens 2 (10/31) 4 (11/1)
Golden-crowned & Ruby-crowned - many both days - mostly Golden-crowned
Hermit Thrush 2 (10/31) 5-6 (11/1)
Northern Mockingbird 1 (10/31/)

Warblers
Orange-crowned 2 (11/1) had to be more (lots of pictures)
Blackpoll 1 (11/1)
Common Yellowthroat 1 (11/1)

Eastern Towhee 3 (2M & 1F 10/31), 1 F (11/1)
Fox Sparrow 5 (10/31, 1 (11/1)
Song Sparrows 5 or 6 both days
Swamp Sparrow 1 (10/31)
White-throated - many both days