OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:03:34 -0500
This follow-up post is in response to the many requests I have had for an
update. The owl is fiesty as ever and eating well. It ate two mice last
night and one today.
My thoughts at this point are it was weak from parasites and then suffered
a reltively minor injury.
It reluctantly took the antibiotic and dewormer this a.m.. I am heading to
the clinic to give the evening treatment and check the traps for fresh
mice. It will go to rehab tomorrow. If it continues to progress, will stay
there until ready to be released. If it does not continue to gain weight
and get stronger, it will likely go to an avian veterinarian (which,
beyond basic care and stabilization, I am not).
The goal is release on the farm from which it came. I will post the final
outcome when I know it.