OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:55:12 -0500
Hi all,

On behalf of Columbus Audubon and the Ohio Ornithological Society, I want to
announce an upcoming symposium focusing on waterfowl. The location will be
the wonderful, brand spanking new Grange Audubon Center in downtown
Columbus, Ohio, hard on the bank of the mighty Scioto River. This is a
gorgeous building and perfectly suited for such an event.

The date of the main event is Saturday, February 27th. We've got a stellar
lineup of speakers, including:

Jesse Barry and Chris Wood of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, speaking on
The Secret Life of Ducks and Saving Waterfowl with e-bird data;

Paul Baicich on the importance of the Federal Duck Stamp and what it has
done to conserve waterfowl;

Keith Lott presenting data on the most comprehensive aerial survey of Lake
Erie waterbirds ever done, which just wrapped up and produced some
fascinating results;

Dr. Gwen Myers presenting the work that she has done with one of North
America's most fascinating ducks, the Spectacled Eider, which winters in one
of the most inhospitable places on earth, open leads in the otherwise frozen
Bering Sea;

And there'll be more!

A very special treat is our Saturday evening keynote speaker, all the way
from Iraq - Dr. Azzam Alwash, CEO of Nature Iraq, who will share a
fascinating program about his work to restore the marshlands of Iraq, and
their waterfowl. Alwash is fascinating and engaging - you won't want to miss
him, or any of the others!

Adding to the treats is a special Friday night performance, also at the
Grange Audubon Center, of the one and only Swinging Orangatangs, that wild
and wacky band straight out of Whipple, Ohio, fronted by Julie Zickefoose
and Bill Thompson. That'll be great fun, a good way to meet fellow birders
from here and there, hang out and have a great time. Be there or be square!

Weather permitting, we'll have topnotch birders posted at the best local
patches for finding waterfowl on Sunday. If the thaw is underway, as it
often is by late February, open water areas in Central Ohio can have lots of
fowl pushing on north.

For the complete scoop, and to register, visit the OOS website at:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/society_events/current/waterfowl.php

We also have a link to our partnering organization, Columbus Audubon, where
you can register online if you wish:
http://columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content
<http://columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content&view=art
icle&id=438&Itemid=200> &view=article&id=438&Itemid=200

Hope to see you there!

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio