OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:47:16 -0500
Hi all,
I'll add another Merlin report to Lindsay's. While doing the Columbus
Christmas Bird County today, our party found the Green Lawn Cemetery Merlin
lounging about the uppermost dead branches of a large sycamore not far south
of the bridge. It was a female, and exceedingly cooperative. Our team
advanced slowly to the base of her tree, and she would scarcely bestow a
glance our way. We were seemingly of no interest to her, and not worthy of
any attention. I love these arrogant falcons! Anyway, this allowed for
outstanding views, and many good photos were taken. She will star on the
Internet before long!
We also had a few Red-breasted Nuthatches, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, a
Yellow-rumped Warbler amongst more common species. Hundreds of American
Robins were about as well.

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like nature? Visit my blog: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/