OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:06:53 -0800
Sorry for the late report.  Just in case there is someone who still hasn't made the pilgrimage to see the Allen's, I wanted to post that I observed it today until a little after noon.  It fed at the feeder at least four times from 10:30 to 12:15.  It also perched in the small trees closest to the feeder.  It seemed to head towards the adjacent farm field when not feeding (hopefully to find bugs in the field?).  It looked healthy and quite active in the not so balmy 26 degree temps.  Some friendly Cleveland area Kirtland birders were also present.

I do recommend leaving your car on the main road if you don't have an SUV.  One of the Clevelanders had a really rough time getting up the hill (had to push).  My Prius amazingly made it out fine, but I didn't attempt to turn around and just gunned it and backed out (my new tires may have helped).

If your looking for something nice to do for the home-owner she seemed to really appreciate the home-made cookies I brought.  Her diligent feeding is definitely helping this tough little bird out!

If anyone sees anything interesting on the Lake tommorrow feel free to give me a call (614)202-8773.  I plan on heading up there early tomorrow.

Cheers,
Heather