OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:42:35 -0500
Hi All,

Many of you already know that every issue of Birding, the magazine of the
American Birding Association, is filled with valuable info for every serious
birder.  But you may not know that the upcoming January 2010 issue is going
to have a particular focus on Ohio.

The cover of the issue is a spectacularly beautiful piece of artwork by our
own Jennifer Brumfield, featuring spring migrant warblers at the boardwalk
at Magee Marsh.  I think this may be the best Birding cover EVER done ... if
you haven't seen the brilliant artwork that Jen has been doing recently,
prepare to be blown away!  On the inside of  the issue, world birder (and
Tropical Birding guide) Sam Woods has written a stirring essay about
traveling to observe migration, and he puts a special emphasis on northwest
Ohio (the Magee Marsh / Ottawa NWR area) as one of his favorite places.
Finally, there's an in-depth article that I wrote about the Magee area and
the factors that make it so great for observing spring migration; the
article is illustrated with photographs by Ohio birders Brian Zwiebel and
Delores Cole.

The Jen Brumfield cover by itself should be enough to make this issue a
collectors' item for Ohio birders, and the stuff on the inside is just
gravy.  This post is mainly a heads-up for non-members or lapsed members of
the American Birding Association:  If you've been thinking about joining or
renewing your membership in the ABA, doing it now would get you on the list
for this special issue.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio