OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:32:36 -0500
Yes, there are a few of us who, whether due to schedule conflicts or from
sheer laziness, made it up to see the Allen's only today.  The bird was
still present; the last feeder visit that I saw was at about 1:20 pm, but
there was no sign that it was going anywhere.  Based on other accounts,
feeder visits do seem more frequent in the morning, decreasing in frequency
into the afternoon, which is to be expected.

By the way, I don't recall anyone mentioning the dog.  There's a doghouse
behind the area in which birders stand to look for the hummer.  On the
doghouse is a "Beware of Dog" sign, and a tan and white beagle mix was
chained to this doghouse today while we were there.  So far as I can tell,
the "Beware" part must mean that you should beware of missing the hummer
while you are petting the dog.  Then again, perhaps it means that you should
beware of the possibility of dirt from the dog's paws getting on your pants
when the pooch jumps up on you to ask for more scratching behind the ears.
You might want to bring a doggy treat, just in case.

--
Bill Heck