OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Greg Emmert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Emmert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 20:30:25 -0500
The shrike is still hanging around my property in Medina County.  I have been incredibly lucky this winter.  The bird has come now for 3 years in a row, but never stayed this long or been this visible.  Sometimes it even perches just 50 or so feet from me and watches me work.  Anyone interested in coming to see it would have to do so on 12/22 or 12/23 as I will be out of town for the holidays.

I wanted to extend a thank you to everyone who has come to see the bird this season.  So far, 8 birders have come and all of them got to see the bird.  I would especially like to thank young Cold DiFabio for posting it on e-bird for me, and Laura Keene for taking photos.  Laura even went so far as to have a coffee mug made for me with the bird's pic on it!  Some people are just so generous.  Of course, many thanks to Dan Kramer of the ODOW for coming out to band the bird.  Getting to see it in the hand is something I won't forget.

Greg Emmert
Akron, OH