OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:06:17 -0800
After Joan Frederick's amazing report (to me at least) of a B-w Teal on the Watermark Quarry, I took a look there this afternoon but struck out. I have been covering this area for the Columbus CBC since 1992, and that's a first for this area even if it is only a "CW". I checked out the National Audubon Society's CBC website and there has never been even a single record of one in the entire history of the CBC for the whole count circle in Columbus going back to 1913. I'll take a look in the river for it tomorrow to see if it's still around the area somewhere.

Other birds in the area now include more Ring-necked Ducks in the 5th Ave. quarry joined by a single Ruddy Duck. Bonaparte's Gulls have been hanging around the Griggs Reservoir. They're unusual but not unprecedented here at this date. On the 20th for the CBC there were two Bonies at Griggs and today there were 5. Hooded Mergansers are widespread in the Scioto, and at least one Wood Duck (probably more) can be found along the bike path south of 5th Ave. They're pretty reliable there in the winter and should be an easy tick for a January list. An adult Bald Eagle has also been hanging around for the past few days.

For a complete list of birds seen here on my CBC this year, I put  up a page on my website :  Also included are all my numbers from past CBC's going back to 1993 for the years I have records.

http://www.roysephotos.com/09DecColumbus.html

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com