OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:28:16 -0500
One of the joys of being a rural veterinarian is that one never knows what
will walk through the door. A client with an injured owl on their porch
called. They described the owl as a small owl. Imagine my surprise when
she carried in a barn owl! From her description of several owls flying
around their house this summer and two owls hissing and clicking at them
when working on an out building, I suspect she had a successful breeding
pair on site in Jeffrerson County. I hope to confirm that for the BBAII
this spring.
For those intersted in such things, he/she weighed 460 gm, body condition
thin, dehydrated, stool very dark and loose, large numbers of double
operculated eggs in stool (lung worm/ whip worm?), an injury to the skin
between shoulder and elbow (several days old), sores on both hocks (likely
from rubbing while trying to fly), normal radiographs. The most aggressive
of any owl or hawk I have ever had in the clinic. Thinks nothing of
lunging with beak chomping or feet flying!
I gave fluids, antibiotics and the first dose of dewormer. The bird will
be with me until Thursday, if eating he/she will go to rehab, if not, on
to an avain veterinarian for full workup and treatment.