OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:37:44 -0500
Nate--
        Thanks for your intense and careful interest in white-cheeked geese,
and for reporting what you are seeing. Too many of us ignore them too
often, and they are a fascinating group.
        I can add a few informative web sites to those you offer:
http://www.idahobirds.net/identification/cackling.html
http://www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/cacklinggoose.php
http://www.utahbirds.org/RecCom/NewGoose.htm
http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/Canadagooset.html
http://www.azfo.org/gallery/challenges/WhiteCheekedGeese.html
Most of these come from out west, where many of the subspecies are seen
a lot more often than here. There have been some possible parvipes
claimed for Ohio, even some taverneri, but no deliberative body like the
Ohio Bird Records Committee has looked at them.
        Please send me a copy of the Wilson Bulletin article on Hanson's latest
book; I am not surprised that the reviewer had some taxonomic problems;
I believe the article is by the Smithsonian's Richard C. Banks, perhaps
North America's most revered taxonomist.
        I have a copy of Hanson's "The Giant Canada Goose" revised edition of
1997 and have read it. It is a defense of the natural origin of what he
calls Branta maxima, the resident semi-domesticated non-migratory goose
so many love to hate. Hanson spent decades studying geese, and has
forgotten more than most ornithologists know about them; the work
clearly shows he has spent his time in the field with geese. However, in
my opinion he over-interprets the small proportion of evidence that
points to their existence long ago--much like the advocates for
trumpeter swans in east do. He further claims on the first page of the
preface that he will recognize "at least 186 geographic races
(subspecies) of these geese in a yet-to-be-published work," which kinda
makes you wonder. I haven't read his subsequent work, but I hear he
makes some even more extravagant claims in revising the taxonomy of
white-cheeked geese. I have the feeling that few would recommend that
goose enthusiasts should not read his work, but that many have serious
misgivings about it.
Bill Whan
Columbus