OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:19:01 -0800
I took another quick check of all the main waterfowl areas from my CBC area today. Things can change quickly at this time of year as different bodies of water thaw and freeze arouind the state. If you have the opportunity, it is definitely worthwhile to check out ponds and lakes on your CBC routes over the course of a week even if it's only a brief scan. I picked up 2 "CW's" for my personal list today, although I don't know if they make any difference for the Columbus count circle as a whole.

On the Watermark Quarry 2 Buffleheads made an appearance. The Redhead and all the R-n Ducks remain. The Mute Swans are gone (good riddance).

On The Scioto River there were 3 Pied-billed Grebes along the bike path south of 5th Ave. with a fourth one in my backyard area. I completely missed them on CBC day.

I saw no sign of that incredible Blue-winged Teal which would have been the first record even as a "CW" on a Columbus CBC and the second overall record for one in winter in Franklin County. I hope the viewers of that bird can fill us in with more details.

On the quarry pond (now apartment complex pond) on the N side of 5th Ave. west of 33, there has been no change and the Ruddy Duck remains.

On the Griggs Reservoir 2 more Ruddy Ducks made an appearance and the Bonaparte's Gull tally was 6 birds today. Griggs also had a flock of Hooded Mergansers which were plentiful on the Scioto a few days ago (and still are), but they were all south of 5th Ave.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4713 (20091223) __________