OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:04:48 -0500
Hello,

I've been watching the influx and efflux of geese from the pond across the
street from my house all day today.  Until about half an hour ago, there
were just a lot of "maxima" Canada Geese.  Now on the pond are about 200
geese, and a large percentage (I'm going to venture a rough guess at 30%) of
them are actually the "interior" Canada Goose subspecies.  They are clearly
smaller than the maxima Canadas and have a slightly different head shape.
They are not Cackling Geese, however they did bring with them at least 1
(possibly 2) "Richardson's" Cackling Goose.  There is a second goose that is
smaller than the interior Canadas, but is not as convincing as the first
bird, and I cannot rule out parvipes or taverneri at this time.  I took some
pictures (again, I'm far from a good photographer, and camera is not great)
but rather than delay this posting to upload them, I'll post them in a
little while on the Ohiobirds.org forum.

The address is the intersection of Crystalpond Dr. and Spindler Rd.  Knowing
that many of you are way more experienced than* *I am, I would still just
caution anyone not to jump to conclusions on "smaller" white-cheeked geese.
There are a lot of "interior" Canadas out there that are smaller than the
maximas most of us are used to.  What I've found is that if I have to wonder
whether a goose is a Cackling or not, it is probably NOT.

Good birding everyone!

Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH