OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:15:12 -0500
Can birds plot to tease you? This afternoon I had an Eastern Meadowlark on the lawn at our place in Genoa Township (Southern Delaware County). Of course my Christmas Bird Count was last Saturday. The meadowlark would have been a nice addition but with its timing I can't even give it a "CW".

I'm waiting for the last two teams reports to finalize the tally for the Hoover Reservoir CBC held on December 19th. Thus far the count is at 72 species including one new species (Yeah Darlene, Nadya and Al for Sandhill Cranes); and one confirmed new high, Ruddy Duck. My team (Rick, Bill and myself) located a raft of 277 Ruddy Ducks at Hoover Reservoir just north of Oxbow Island. This obliterated the old record of 24. With luck the last two teams reports will add species currently only at "CW" of which we have 7.

Charlie Bombaci