OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Ken Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:32:10 -0500
We saw the White-winged Dove yesterday.

We arrived at the Beery's home at about 12:45. From the car tracks and
footprints in the fresh snow it appeared that there had been only one other
party present sometime before we arrived.

We spent an hour waiting, standing under the pines across the driveway from
the feeders, and also scanned the trees and brush piles down over the side
of the ravine which borders the front of the yard and along the entrance lane.

The dove flock spent that hour roosting down low in the fallen wood and
brush piles at the bottom of the ravine. We couldn't pick out the WWD at
that distance with our binoculars. The wind was fairly brisk, and I think
that was keeping the doves low rather than higher in the trees.

Around 1:45 we decided to move up the driveway, completely out of sight of
any of the doves, wondering if our presence/activity could be keeping the
doves away from the feeder area.

We moved up the driveway to the upper left corner of the parking area, at
the point where a second small driveway takes off to a storage shed.

Several Mourning Doves and the White-winged Dove flew in almost immediately,
and we watched it for 15 minutes. The WWD visited the feeders several times,
and spent the rest of the time resting and preening on a large horizontal
branch to the right of the feeders.

It was still resting on the branch when we left around 2PM.

Thanks to Dick Beery for reporting this cool bird, and for his hospitality!

Ken Beers