OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:26:41 -0800
I returned to Sims Park in Euclid this afternoon sometime around 2:30pm.  Bill Whan's group from Columbus arived at the same time.  The view from the pier was not very good as the winds had picked up this afternoon and the lake was more choppy than this morning.  They moved a little further west and I followed.  I think they concluded there were 9 or 10 Black Scoters and two or most likely three Surf Scoters.  So they left.  But I just did not get it as the view was not good from this location as you weren't high enough.  I moved further west on the high bluff west of the stairs and could get a very clear view of the 10 Black Scoters.  I also saw one Surf Scoter by itself and one White-winged Scoter by itself.  The White-winged Scoter doesn't always show is white wing but it did come out of the water and it was very clear.  I was unable to locate any additional Surf Scoters. I did get blurry pictures of the White-winged Scoter in the morning and
 afternoon.  There were many Red-breasted Mergansers flying around and on the lake.  I left at 4pm.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/