OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:35:44 -0500
Some years ago I sat in my car at Bradstreet Landing in Rocky River
one awful stormy November morning.
The lake was rough and the rain was pounding.  A huge flock of red
breasted mergansers was going by when I arrived. I sat there for 15
or 2o minutes
and the flock never let up. I have no idea how to count large numbers
of birds but I would guess at any single
moment there were at least 500 of them in front of the beach there at
any moment in midair. This was one of those
birding moments that at the time one doesn't realize was a unique
moment that may never be repeated in life.
I have had a few of them over the years. I would guess this was in
the late 90's.

Terry