OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:47:19 GMT
Reflections on listing conundrums (urged on by Bill Whan's request):

While I'm not much of a lister, the overall challenge of sorting out similar species under field conditions interests me. What do we do about the recent split in winter wren if we don't hear the voice? What about the red crossbill "complex?" Was that common yellowthroat I saw this morning in a bush outside my Lake Forest, CA office really the same species as those who nest on my Muskingum County farm? Can we really tell cackling goose minima Canada's when they are flying overhead? And what of the situation when an experienced bander like Allen Chartier can't even tell for sure when the bird is in hand.

I honestly do sympathize (a little anyway) with those for whom listing is their raison d'etre for birding. But I simply chalk up sp. identifications to the ever-forward advance of knowledge about our feathered friends. Some things are just unknowable, particularly at a distance through glass. I suppose I will continue to really on green-backed vs. rufous-backed for the Allen's-rufous split. It's the best we can do. Juveniles are up for grabs unless they have a visibly notched tail feather. What can we do?

I am happy to announce, for those of you keeping score at home, that this past year I finally crossed the 400 species mark for my North American lifelist. This is singularly unimpressive since I've been listing for 15 years, but I rarely chase and only count stone-cold lead-pipe locks that I feel I could identify again if I ever re-encounter them.

Personally, there is so much to enjoy about bird watching (yes I still use that term) that does not involve twitching. Best of luck to all for whom this matters so much.

My very best,

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County, OH & Lake Forest, CA