OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Howard Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:58:10 -0500
The bird populations on the quarry lakes keeps shifting.  At the Quarry Apartment lake off of Fifth Ave. a week ago - sorry for not posting - the number of Ring-neckeds jumped to 46.  A day later it had dropped to none, then up to 6.  Then up to 36.  Yesterday it was zero.

Yesterday there were 36 Ring-neckeds bouncing around in the whitecaps on the lake. The same number was there in the much quiter water today.

Given the varying numbers being posted on other lakes, including the lake on McKinley and the Watermark quarry lake on 33, it is apparent that a good-sized raft of these birds has moved into the area and is moving around among the lakes and the Scioto.  I have not checked Griggs reservoir on the Scioto, but did see about a dozen along the Olentangy by the OSU medical complex earlier today.

So far, apart from one or two pied-billed grebes, over the past several weeks I've seen none of the other birds that often accompany the ring-neckeds, including the scaups and buffleheads.