OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:50:31 -0500
The following Christmas counts can always use help.  If you are
interested, contact the compiler.

December 19    Tiffin, OH            Jim Coffman  [log in to unmask]
December 20    Erie Islands        John Pogacnik   [log in to unmask]
Jan 1                Gypsum, OH      Tom Bartlett     [log in to unmask]
Jan 2                Carey, OH          Rick Counts     [log in to unmask]
Jan 3                Ottawa NWR       Tom Bartlett

The Erie Island count covers most of the large island in the western
basin of Lake Erie; Kelleys, South Bass, Middle Bass, North Bass, and
Pelee.  Right now we have some coverage of South Bass, Kelleys, and
possibly Pelee.  Need people to cover Middle Bass, North Bass, and
help on the others.  The problem is getting to the islands.  Contact
John, me, or Lisa Brohl if you would like to help.  Lisa covers South
Bass but can help with people wanting to do Middle or North Bass.
Unfortunately, these usually involve flying and the cost of flying.
The same for those wanting to do Pelee Island.  The Kelleys Island
ferry will still be running.

Ottawa NWR count - meet in at the Trail Head parking lot at 8:00 AM.
The refuge personnel and ONWRA prepare a great hot lunch for a small
donation.  In the AM there are several walking groups and several
driving groups.  In the PM, most of the count is driving.

The Gypsum counts really needs help.  We are trying to restart this
count.  It has been run for the last several years but unofficially.
If you are sober on New Years' Day and can help - great; if you aren't
but can make up some good birds - better :>)   This count covers
Castalia ponds, Resthaven WA, Sandusky Bay area, Catawba Island,
Marblehead Peninsula, and Pt. Clinton area.

For those that try for a January 100 species, the Gypsum, Carey,
Ottawa counts are great.  I typically end the three counts with 80+
species

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio