OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Sandra Gaunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Gaunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:56:47 -0500
At 11:30 I was taking in a sunny walk when I heard low whirring calls
from many birds.  To my astonishment I looked toward the Sciota River
and saw two huge flocks of Sandhill Crane, about 50 in one and 30 in
the second.  They circled several times then flew south down the
river.  I have seen Sandhill Crane in Columbus before, but never at
this time of year or in these numbers.  The location: the Hayden Run
Bridge just S of Dublin OH.

Sandy
Sandra L. L. Gaunt                       Home: phone 614-876-5829
Borror Lab of Bioacoustics,                     cell 614-581-1925
    Curator retired                                      4795 Hayden Blvd
Museum of Biological Diversity                  Columbus OH
43221
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Rd, Columbus 43212-1192

   ()< o/'o/'o/' BLB web site with catalog, database, sounds, etc.
  )|)                            http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu