OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:50:33 -0500
Hello all,

Iıve been vigorously searching the Olentangy River for ducks. The only ducks
Iıve ever seen on campus are Mallard, Wood Duck, and Lesser Scaup. Iım
trying to add a few species. Every day I check the river at dawn and dusk,
hoping for some flying along or actually sitting on the river. Is this the
best method for seeing a Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead, American Black Duck,
etc.? Youıd think with over 1000 ducks/geese flying over today, Iıd see more
than 2 species. If anyone has any information on how I can improve my
chances, Iıd be forever grateful!!

Now, on to todayıs numbers. There was quite an impressive movement of birds.
Iıll let the numbers speak for themselves:

Canada Goose- 250, exactly- funny it came out to this number, and there were
NO Cackling Geese
Mallard- 811!!, lots of high-flying flock headed south
Sharp-shinned Hawk- 1
Cooperıs Hawk- 3
Northern Harrier- 1*** First for my campus list, #149- what will be #150?
Will it come tomorrow?
Red-tailed Hawk- 6
Ring-billed Gull- 152
Bonapartes Gull- 16* two different flocks flying down river today, only the
second time Iıve ever seen them on campus!
Brown-headed Cowbird- 11* All my efforts searching through the 1000+
starling flock has finally paid off!

Good birding,

Sean

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094