OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:27:33 -0500
Only had a couple hours to bird this afternoon but they were good hours!
http://picasaweb.google.com/mvalencic/LaDueAndHayesRoad121209#

Started at LaDue Reservoir about 2pm.  A fair number of ducks in several
locations – Red-breasted Mergansers, Black Ducks, Buffleheads, Mallards and
Redheads.  WE saw 9 Sandhill Cranes about ¼ mile south of the boat house.
We snuck through the tall weeds trying to get close for better pictures and
managed a few.  When reviewing the pictures at home I discovered that ONE
CRANE HAS A TRACKING DEVICE ON ONE LEG and a band on the other.  I magnified
the image on the computer but could not read anything on the transmitter or
band.

Further down Valley Road we saw an immature Eagle flying right toward us,
begging to have its picture taken.  We obliged the bird!

Still further (north) we found two beautiful Red-shouldered Hawks hanging
close to the road.  They were easy pickings!  (they are regularly found by
the farm near the access road to the dam).

In the Middlefield area we went straight for Hayes Road near Nauvoo and were
not disappointed.  Four unidentified hawks (far away and looking into the
sun).  Two Bald Eagles (one adult and one immature flying together).  AT
least three Rough-legged Hawks and one Red-tailed Hawk.  A flock of maybe
100 gulls was in one field.  We watched a Red-tailed hawk chase a
Rough-legged off its high perch after which the R-L tried to chase the R-T
off!  Eventually the Adult Bald Eagle took the perch.

Finally, about 1 mile from home we saw what we think was a sharp-shined hawk
on Snyder Road in Bainbridge.

A really great couple of hours!

Matt & Adam Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH