OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:28:56 -0800
I went up to the Ashtabula Co. lakefront yesterday to see what the storm blew in.  There was about 5" of snow on the ground, only half of what I expected, so travel was not too difficult.  Like John Pogacnik noted on Friday in Lake Co., there were some out-of-place birds like puddle ducks, hooded mergs, ruddies, and coots right on L. Erie.  There were very few Bonaparte's gulls around.  It was good to see real ducks instead of decoys in the harbors.  At Ashtabula: 2 gadwalls, 5 Am. black ducks, 2 Am. wigeon, lesser scaup, 15 c. goldeneyes, 7 buffleheads, female BLACK SCOTER, 15 hooded mergansers, 125 common mergansers, 10 red-breasted mergansers, 18 ruddy ducks, 175 mallards, double-crested cormorant, great blue heron, 7 Am. coots, and 5 great black-backed gulls.  At Conneaut: 2 tundra swans, 15 Am. black ducks, 5 gadwalls, 3 green-winged teal, 3 canvasbacks, 27 redheads, 25 greater scaup, 22 lesser scaup, 6 buffleheads, 30 common mergansers, 14
 ruddy ducks, double-crested cormorant, 2 great blue herons, 4 Am. coots, Bonaparte's & great black-backed gulls, and Am. tree sparrows.  On the way to Pymatuning I saw a belted kingfisher in Pierpont.  At Pymatuning (Ohio side): 30 tundra swans, Am. black ducks, 20 c. goldeneyes, hooded merganser, 205 common mergansers, ruddy duck, pied-billed grebe, double-crested cormorant, great blue heron, 500 Bonaparte's gulls (hundreds more over PA waters), n. harrier, and 3 bald eagles.  On the way home I saw a n. mockingbird in Hubbard (Trumbull Co.).  Later, Craig