OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:08:09 -0500
Today Bruce Simpson and I headed north to try and find where the birds are hiding in Central Ohio. It seems like the birds abandoned the state after the November election. Maybe they didn't like the results. Along with a decent selection of birds we also saw lots and lots of Hunter Orange. At Pond 27 in Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area the Bald Eagles gave us quite a show with 18 lined up along the tree line on the far bank. It could have been a post card from Alaska, a beautiful sight to see. Our tally was as follows:

Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County
Trumpeter Swan (3)
Mallard (5)
Northern Harrier (6)
Red-tailed Hawk (7)
American Kestrel (4)
Rock Pigeon (40+)
Mourning Dove (50+)
American Crow (8)
Horned Lark (25)
European Starling (100)
American Tree Sparrow (15)
Song Sparrow (3)
Northern Cardinal (1)
Eastern Meadowlark (3)

SR 203 between Big Island and Killdeer Plains
Bald Eagle (1)
Horned Lark (50+)
Snow Bunting (2)

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area Wyandot County
Canada Goose (700+)
Tundra Swan (52)
Mallard (7)
Bald Eagle (22)
Northern Harrier (7)
Red-tailed Hawk (4)
American Kestrel (2)
Rock Pigeon (12)
Mourning Dove (40+)
Belted Kingfisher (1)
Red-headed Woodpecker (1)
American Crow (13)
Horned Lark (13)
European Starling (300)
American Tree Sparrow (5)
Song Sparrow (3)
Northern Cardinal (2)
House Sparrow (6)

Upper Sandusky Reservoir Wyandot County
Pied-billed Grebe (1)
Horned Grebe (2)
Canada Goose (200+)
Gadwall (2)
American Wigeon (2)
Mallard (13)
Ring-necked Duck (12)
Bufflehead (1)
Ruddy Duck (75)
Ring-billed Gull (27)
American Crow (6)
European Starling (40)

Delaware Wildlife Area Delaware County
Mallard (1)
Bald Eagle (2)
Northern Harrier (3)
American Kestrel (3)
Mourning Dove (6)
Northern Flicker (1)
Blue Jay (5)
American Crow (3)
Eastern Bluebird (2)
European Starling (200)
Song Sparrow (1)
Northern Cardinal (4)
American Goldfinch (7)
House Sparrow (4)

Hoover Meadows, Hoover Nature Preserve, Delaware County
Northern Harrier (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk (1)
Red-tailed Hawk (3)
Mourning Dove (8)