OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:38:19 -0500
The Columbus Audubon trip along the urban stretches of the Scioto River this morning found some interesting birds in the light rain.  We visited Scioto Audubon park, the Haul Rd and Hart Rd quarries, Watermark Lake, and the Marble Cliff bikepath.  Beforehand, I walked along the river at Berliner Park, and afterwards I made a brief stop at Long Street dam on the way out.  Most of the water in the river & quarries was ice-free and high, so waterbirds were quite dispersed.  The quarries had very little waterbird activity; most of it was centered along the river.  No Bald Eagles, but we did see their nest at Haul Rd.  Notables included:

MERLIN - 1 flashed by for a brief look at Marble Cliff.  This would be about the time they usually arrive in the Greenlawn cemetery as well.

Ring-necked Ducks - a flock of 25-30 were on the Scioto at Marble Cliff

Hooded Mergansers - small flocks everywhere; best were about 20+ at Scioto Audubon and a similar-sized flock at Marble Cliff

Brown Creepers - at several locations along the river, including Berliner Park (3-4), Scioto-Audubon, and Marble Cliff

Mockingbird - 1 very obliging bird watched over us while we were at Watermark Lake.

Starlings - very large flocks at several locations, including about 500 at Hart Rd Quarry and another 400+ at Long St. dam & the Columbus Water Plant.