OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:59:12 -0800
Over the next 3 weeks, some 1800 observers will
participate in Ohio Christmas Bird Counts. In so doing
they contribute measureably to that remarkable database
having pooled their various party efforts into the
roughly 70 count circles spread across the state.

Within that treasure trove of compilations lay further
riches ... the specific party efforts which often delineate
sightings by parks or other properties. A finer scale
effort that is masked by the greater compilations.
Ironically, during this massive undertaking, eBird sees
one of its weakest periods of participation in Ohio.

There is a home for those local checklists in eBird.
And in the last 6 months, largely through the
unheralded efforts of Ken Ostermiller, what were
about 250 hotspots has almost tripled offering birders
an easy means of identifying a shared birding site
often with several options within a specific property
(e.g. 7 within Killdeer Plains W.A. and 9 within
Killbuck W.A.).

If none of these fit the bill, you can still easily
establish your own, and at your option,
suggest it as a hotspot.

Your field day may generate more than one checklist
appropriate for eBird. I myself like to separate
my checklists by effort (on foot vs by car). I often
further separate a Stationary Count (to count a
movement of birds overhead or at a feeder), from
an Area Checklist (a waterfowl count on a reservoir),
vs a Traveling Count (miles of back road birding).
eBird is readily distinguishes between such efforts.

Visiting private property and like your privacy?
You can always HIDE your checklist within
your eBird account, but I also recommend the
use of townships or quadrangles (your call)
for any efforts where you cover a lot of ground
away from well known sites such as along
rural back roads.

Many of you will be fortunate to find an uncommon
species worthy of attention to the greater birding
community. Please consider pinpointing the location*
(if publicly accessible). As was recently brought up,
Google Maps, of which eBird makes use, allows
nailing your bird down to the intersection, fence
row, or marina dock if you so choose. Needless
to say this can facilitate explaining directions. More
than that, you tie your observation to terrain and
microhabitat that ultimately explain something of
why we see species where we find them.

*For sensitive species (e.g. Barn Owl) or those
on private property, consider pinpointing the
nearest cross-roads and attach a comment to
that affect.

Perhaps a lot to consider, but the process can be
as simple or complex as you choose, tailoring it
to your level of birding. Just keep in mind that
eBird is NOT a substitute for the CBC itself nor
is it generally suitable for county wide birding
efforts for the real value lay in matching checklists to
discrete aspects of the landscape.

eBird has a lot of potential. It has the potential to
improve our understanding of the avian use of the land,
of flyways, of stop-over sites, of microhabitats
key to winter survival, etc. But key to realizing that
potential is your participation.

thank you for your consideration

As always, any questions regarding the use of
eBird, please send them to me at [log in to unmask]

cheers

Vic Fazio
State Reviewer, Project eBird, OH & OK
Regional Editor, North American Birds, OH-PA-WV
Lawton, OK