OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:55:02 -0500
Mike

No where else then the Lake Erie Marshes of Northern Ohio has the Kirtland's
been consistently reported in migration. Given that, it is still a needle in
a haystack when considering a few thousand birds make up the population.
Sightings are generally May 10-20. The Magee Marsh W/A is the most likely
site for reports as more people bird the area. This coming May with the
"Biggest Week in American Birding" centered on the area there will be
practically live updates on sightings of what, when and where.  That will
increase the chances if one is seen of getting the word out. Check out
http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/

If you want to really raise your odds I would recommend going to the
breeding grounds where guiding trips are available through the US Forest
Service. That's your 3 1/2 hr trip further north.  Mid to late June appears
to be a good time for that option.
Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory