OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:24:50 -0500
Last week I asked about good birding spots near CAK and I received some
very good recommendations which I am sharing below. I included the
comments each person made, the DeLorme coordinates and most hyperlinks are
those I added from the 7th ed.

Thanks to Ken Ostermiller, Karen Gray, Elaine Snively, Kathy Mock, Mike
Edgington, Renee, Dr. Bob Barrett, Brenda Warner, and Charles A.
McClaugherty, Phd. Together, they provided the list below of good birding
spots around the Akron Canton Airport, and also near Wadsworth (once they
learned I bird there also).

1.Sippo Lake Regional Park. Sippo Lake on 12th Street when it thaws a
little, 3 entrances: Genoa Rd., Perry Rd. and 12th St.(the main entrance).
12th is also Hankins Rd. in Massillon.
5300 Tyner Ave NW
Canton, OH 44708-5041
(330) 477-3552
http://www.starkparks.com/park.asp?park=1
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, B-7

2.Portage Lakes State Park
5031 Manchester Road
Akron, Ohio 44319
330) 644-2220
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/779/Default.aspx

Map of both Portage Lakes State Park, Nimisila Reservoir and Long Lake
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/portagelakesparkmap.pdf

DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, A-6

3.Nimisila reservoir, with several places to drive up to the shore and
scan different parts of the lake for waterfowl
Christman Rd., Green, OH, 44319-4249
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, A-6

4.Long Lake (one of Portage Lakes)
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 41, D-6

5.Firestone MetroPark
2400 Harrington Rd
Akron, OH
http://www.summitmetroparks.org/ParksAndTrails/Firestone.aspx
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 41, D-6

6.Lakemore - Springfield Lake
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 41, D-6

7.Wingfoot Lake
993 Goodyear Park Boulevard, Mogadore, OH(330) 796-7572ý
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 41, D-6, very corner of page

8.Nature center on the west side of Myers Lake
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, B-7

9.Beech Creek botanical garden in Washington Township that is fully wooded
with intermittent open patches
11929 Beech St. NE Alliance, Oh  44601  (330) 862-3920
http://www.bcbgarden.org/
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 52, A-2

10.Marlboro Township
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 52, A-1

11.Quail Hollow north of Hartville. That is a very nice spot.
13480 Congress Lake Avenue
Hartville, Ohio 44632
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/quailhlw/tabid/783/Default.aspx
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 52, A-1

12.Walborn Reservoir
Walborn Reservoir Marina
11324 Price Street NE
Alliance, OH 44601
http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=45809
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 52, A-2

13.State nature preserve called "Jackson Bog" on Rt. 241. Fulton Rd. just
west of Jackson High School.
7984 Fulton Dr NW
Massillon, OH  44646
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/preserves_main/jackson_bog/tabid/896/Defaul
t.aspx
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, B-7
Lat/Long Coordinates
N40 51.563'
W081 29.897'

14.Boettler park, right next to the airport
Here is a link to Boettler park:
http://www.cityofgreen.org/boettler-park
5300 Massillon Road
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, A-7

15.Lake O'Springs Park. At Lake O'Springs Rd. between Portage Rd. and
Fulton Road. A natural spring keeps water open, always geese and ducks
there.
Lake O'Springs Park, Canton, Ohio 44718
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, A-7

16.There are several small lakes in the area of Revere Rd. and Highmill
Rd. Pin Oak Lake and Crystal Lake Park
Revere Ave NW & High Mill Ave NW
Massillon, OH 44647
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, B-6

17.Also the Towpath is a good place to walk, usually can see Eastern
Bluebirds just south of 40 Corners Rd.
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 51, B-6

The following locations were provided when I said I lived in Wadsworth:

18.Greenleaf Park is on Medina Line Rd. at Rt 162. Go in the gated drive
that winds around to the back parking lot. There is an unassuming "nature
trail" starting near the pavilion. It does a small loop - not more than
1/2 mile. Check out the wet areas, as well as the pond area. There are
borrow pits near 162 that create interesting habitat and lots of dead
trees -- woodpecker city! The trail is very muddy, if not flooded in areas
in early spring, so bring your boots! You rarely see anyone on the trail,
so it's nice and peaceful and you can watch birds uninterrupted.
Interestingly, there is also an old log cabin that was moved and
reconstructed on this site, with a small 'herb' garden that has some
pretty flowers in spring.
1674 S. Medina Line Road
Sharon Center
Located at the corner of Medina Line Rd and State Route 162
http://www.medinacountyparks.com/Pages/GreenLeaf.html
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 41, D-5

19.Western Reserve Cemetery... I discovered a memorial trail there that
goes back into the woods and ends with a ravine overlook. Another paved
path runs along the edge of the woods -- seems like they are still
constructing some areas.
Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery
10175 Rawiga Road
Rittman, OH 44270
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 40, D-4

20.River Styx Park - Chris’ favorite place to bird, especially during
warbler migration
http://www.medinacountyparks.com/Pages/RiverStyx.html
8200 River Styx Road
Located at the intersection of Blake Road and
River Styx Road
DeLorme Map 7th ed. Pg 40, D-4

Ken Ostermiller shared the info below which I will also pass along:

One place you can look for good birding sites is Cornell Lab of
Ornithology's web site eBird. You can visit it at
http://eBird.org

One of the tricks I have learned is that the mapping tool
http://ebird.org/ebird/MyEBird?cmd=Map
which is designed to allow you to locate and choose the site you are
reporting sightings also allows you to see on a map where all the hot
spots in an area are located.
In the above link you could make the state Ohio and the county Stark. That
will show you the hot spots (these are bird reporting hot spots, but most
also make good places to visit to look for birds) in the county. You can
zoom in and out on the map.

If you do not have an account at eBird, you would need to set one up, but
it is a free account.

Chris McAnlis