OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
"Steve J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve J.
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:37:17 -0500
Hey everyone...again,

I just got this in an email/Facebook post  and wanted to pass it along
to you...As some may know Marion is getting a nature trail that uses the
old CSX  rail line that butts up against Big Island WA.  This area is
already a great area to hike back in and get some birding in, but with
the addition of a REAL trail, it will make it even better.  They have a
shingle up on Facebook (Marion Tallgrass Trail) and I brought up that it
might be neat to put up an observation deck or two along the Big Island
WA part of it.

Well, lo and behold, they actually have funding for an observation deck
in that area and are currently looking for ideas and suggestions of good
places to have an observation deck. Here is the website that marks out
the trail:
http://www.marioncountyparks.info/index_RailTrail.htm
But the easiest way to describe where it is as you are driving down 95
and look to the north, you will see the old train line sticking up in
the background.  That's where the trail is/will be.

here is what Karen said to me:
"...I have a verbal committment from ODNR and two donors for an
observation deck off the trail overlooking the Wildlife area. Probably
just west of where Houk Rd used to cross. I want the DNR guys to help us
select a spot and probably some birders (like you and Ed Lux) to have
input too. Won't that be great? You know that if it were done properly
we could have the deck in even before the trai is paved and goes by it.
Depends on funding. - Karen Kelley"

If anyone has birded back in there, please feel free to email me with
your ideas as to a location for the deck, or places that should be avoided.

Have a great day

Steve Jones

(a.k.a. sjlarue)