OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:46:19 -0800
I visited some local sites here in eastern Mahoning Co. the last couple days.  In Poland Twp. I found 27 wild turkeys (2 flocks), red-shouldered hawk, sharp-shinned hawk, n. flicker, and e. bluebirds.  Pine L. was frozen solid, but Yellow Creek had some open water where it exits at the north end.  Present there were 20 Am. tree sparrows, song sparrows, 3 swamp sparrows, and 3 white-throated sparrows.  At Evans L. there is one hole in the ice, roosting there were 160 Canada geese, mallards, 200 ring-billed gulls, and 25 herring gulls.  The Struthers--Lowellville section of the Mahoning R. remains productive, today's tally there was 400 Canada geese, 2 Am.. black ducks, 30 mallards, 6 ring-necked ducks, 1 bufflehead, 10 c. goldeneyes, 29 hooded mergansers, 1 pied-billed grebe, and a belted kingfisher.  Am. crows remain very numerous and conspicuous in the area, hundreds are seen daily with little effort.  This morning a b-c chickadee and a titmouse
 broke out in song.....Spring is right around the corner?!?!?  Craig Holt, Lowellville