OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 20:20:39 -0500
The third, and final, pelagic trip of the season was held today in
Cleveland.  Due to the 9 foot waves and temperature in the upper teens we
did not venture out onto the open lake.  Instead we covered the river as far
south as we could go and then we headed back downstream to the harbor area.
From there we headed east to Dike 14 and back.   Although nothing rare was
seen, a ton of birds, and a lot of great birds were seen.  The good stuff is
bold-faced.  The tremendous numbers of gulls and red-breasted merganser made
the trip memorable.  Despite having many of us encased in ice, it was a lot
of fun.  thanks again to the ship's crew, (especially the captain who
successfully docked the boat despite the windows being covered in ice), Bob
Faber, and Kim and Kenn Kauffman and everybody else with the Black Swamp
Bird Observatory.

If I forgot anything, let me know.

Canada goose   xxx
American black duck   xxx