OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Deborah Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:47:43 -0500
Question: I live in West Virginia, just across the river from
Washington County, Ohio. WV DNR surveys have shown this to be the
worst year in 40 years for mast production - hard and soft -
especially along the western edge of the state.  The number of road-
killed animals is far higher than normal (squirrels were everywhere
this fall!) due to abnormal movement in search of food. Wildlife in
this area is facing winter starvation. Is this also the case in parts
of Ohio? If so, wouldn't the shortage of small rodents affect raptor
numbers?

Just a thought  . . .

Deborah Griffith
Washington, WV (across from Belpre, OH)