OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:08:38 -0500
There was an excellent movement of birds today with lots of waterfowl and
gulls.  This was the largest movement of great black-backed gulls this
season. Other gulls seen were single Kumlien's and lesser black-backed and 2
glaucous.  There were quite a few mergansers also.  Amongst the merganser
flocks were 3 BLACK and 2 SURF SCOTERS.  I also had a RED-THROATED LOON
sitting out on the lake early this morning.  Things slowed down a bit around
9:30 when the snow started to fly.  When the snow let up the birds started
moving again, although in smaller numbers.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
January 1, 2010, 730-1100
Weather- cloudy with occasional snow