OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:37:49 -0500
I haven't had much time for birding, but in my commuting and backyard
birdfeeding (all Licking Co.), I have noticed:

Until Saturday, I hadn't seen a kestrel all January (very unusual).  Then,
six individuals in three days. (all Licking Co. sightings, Friday, Saturday
and yesterday)

The adult red-tails I usually see on my commute have been absent, until
Friday.  Both were seen along Rt. 13 near where their nest was located last
summer.  One of the adults that occasionally patrol the "back" part of my
uncle's farm put in an appearance on Jan. 7, but I haven't seen it since.  I
saw a perched red-tail on my quick trip to Croton on the fog Saturday
morning, but I didn't see its tail so can't "age" it.

Two quick trips to the Croton area Jan. 9 and Jan. 16 failed to produce any
harriers, which in the past have been a sure bet there.  I have yet to see
one this year.

Cooper's hawks are EVERYWHERE!  I see both male and female almost daily in
my neighborhood, twice weekly or more at my uncle's place, on a quick trip
to Dawes Arboretum on Saturday, occasionally on my commute, once at Wilson
Cemetery (possibly same as at my uncle's farm, which is about 1/4 mi. from
cemetery), yesterday at T J Evans Park, Saturday in Granville (looking for
vultures!).  I was just wondering whether these guys have increased their
population along with the increase in backyard birdfeeding.  They seem very
compatible with human habitats.  The one in my yard has no fear.  I can walk
within 15 feet or so, and it doesn't faze her.  My parents, about 1.5 mile
from where I live, report one in their yard regularly.

Not scientific, I know.  Just anecdotal.  But, the snow cover definitely
seems to reduce opportunities to see raptors in Licking Co.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co.