OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
"Allen T. Chartier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen T. Chartier
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:19:16 -0500
I'll second the strong disagreement with the statement:

"Posting bird sightings to the listserv is almost completely useless."

As a seasonal compiler of bird records in Michigan, I have used the various
listserv postings for many years to accumulate a fuller picture of bird
occurrences within the state. Many sightings posted on listservs never make
it to eBird, so unless eBird dominates the world (it never will), these
postings will always have value. A more difficult development has been the
proliferation of personalized sites, like Flickr, Facebook, and blogs where
bird sightings and photos are posted. How many of these hundreds of sites
does a compiler have to subscribe to or check now in order to compile a
state's bird records? More than 200 observers still submit their seasonal
records on paper forms that are mailed out each season as well. The concept
of eBird is great, with the potential to centralize these bird records, but
there are some issues that are still significant. For example, 5 observers
could submit sightings from exactly the same spot, but could list the locale
differently which might suggest a different locale! Why don' those operating
eBird bring some control to this issue? Identifications is another issue.
While each state has a data reviewer, this person focuses on rarities. When
I was data reviewer for Michigan for the Great Backyard Bird Count, I sent
out hundreds of emails following up on Purple Finches, Field Sparrows, and
Red-headed Woodpeckers, among others. Typically, more than 90% of the Field
Sparrows and Red-headed Woodpeckers reported were misidentified and the
observers changed their sightings to American Tree Sparrows and Red-bellied
(or Downy!) Woodpeckers. More than half the Purple Finches are changed to
House Finches. So, if hundreds of emails are required to vet the sightings
of a 4-day event, how much work would it be to vet an entire 3-4 month
season? Yes, eBird is a great tool, but it still has a long way to go.

Allen T. Chartier
amazilia1(at)comcast.net
Inkster, Michigan, USA