OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:34:55 -0500
What was not said: "Posting bird sightings to this listserv is almost
completely useless."

What was actually said: "From a data perspective, posting bird
sightings to this listserv is almost completely useless."

"From a data perspective" is the key context here to understand the
statement. The original post was misquoted in the criticisms.

There's nothing wrong with posting on the mailing list. But if you
want your bird sightings to really count towards the science of bird
conservation, additionally entering your data on eBird is the way to
go. Taking the time to enter your observations somewhere where
researchers can utilize the data is an important contribution.

Sean Artman

p.s. The identification problems brought up Allen Chartier are not
specific to eBird reports. For example, when I see a Purple Finch
reported on the listserv, how do I know wasn't actually a House Finch?