OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 20:43:33 -0800
Greetings!

Our group made its way from Castalia to East 72 Street (Cleveland) today. Here are some of the highlights from many of the spots along the way:

Sandusky Bay Bridge, Sandusky, OH: Double-crested Cormorant and Bald Eagle

It was a special treat to watch the adult Bald Eagle snatch an injured Ruddy Duck from the ice!

Castalia Pond, Castalia, OH: Belted Kingfisher and lots of dabbling ducks, including Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon, Bufflehead, and Lesser Scaup

Lorain Harbor, Lorain, OH: Double-crested Cormorant, Red-breasted Merganser, Common Merganser, Pied-billed Grebe and Bonaparte's Gull

There were thousands and thousands of gulls in the Lorain harbor area with only a few Bonaparte's Gulls being unusual.

East 72 Street Marina, Cleveland, OH: Redhead and Canvasback

There were many gulls in the area, but the high winds had all of them in the air and very few were near the hot water outlet. Most of the gulls were over at the east 55th street marina. No white-winged gulls were seen at east 72 street.

East 55th Street Marina, Cleveland, OH: Lesser Black-backed Gull, Dunlin and Greater Scaup

Thousands and thousands of gulls were amassing around the docks at east 55th street. Although no white-winged gulls were seen...two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls were located sitting on the ice around the docks. Two female Greater Scaup were also found near the docks. Of special note was a single Dunlin that flew into the area and found a roost on the ice...where it settled down for a nap...out of the frigid wind...sheltered behind the behind of a Canada Goose!

Calvary Cemetery, Garfield Heights, OH: Merlin

We ended the day at Calvary Cemetery where we were treated to a fly-by Merlin. We did not stick-around long enough to see any of the birds come to roost for the evening.

Members of our group are sitting between 71-74 species for the two day total. We'll be heading west along the lake...from Port Clinton...tomorrow and will post updates when possible.

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126