OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:57:45 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the Kelleys island monthly census today.
This the 12th year that a January census has been conducted.  Today
began at 0800 EST with overcast skies, 30 degree temperature and a
N-NW wind of 5-12 mph.  We ended at 1230 EST with PC skies, 34 degree
temperature, and a NE wind of 8-12 mph.  The island was iced in on the
south, southwest, west, and northern sides.  The east and southeastern
sides were open water.  Thirty-eight species and 3634 individuals were
observed on the census.  The 12 year average is 39.5 species and 5514
individuals, so this year was slightly below normal.  Two new species
were added to the list of those observed during a January census.  The
were Glaucous Gull (2nd year bird) and Great Horned Owl.  This brings
the January list to 81 species over the 12 years.  Another highlight
this year was 33 Bald Eagles.  The previous high for Bald Eagle was
11.  We observed 19 adults, 8 sub-adults, and 6 unknown age.

2          Canada Goose
2          American Black Duck
22        Mallard
915      Greater Scaup