OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:15:41 -0500
This morning I spied a large-ish hawk I can't pin down I.D. at Allardale
park near the border of Medina and Summit Cos.  I didn't see the underparts
very well, but got a decent look at topside when it flew low over field then
swooped upwards to land on a branch on the wood edge. Overall I would
describe as brownish. Tail was neither reddish nor darkly banded, but seemed
sort of lighter colored. Most distinctive was a light colored "patch" on the
tops of wings between the bend and tips. Would rough legged be a
possibility? There are large open fields adjacent to area where bird was
seen. Otherwise, red tail or red shouldered would probably be most likely -
maybe juvenile? I dismissed short eared owl, although light patch on wings
is a fit and they can be active during day. They don't favor trees as
perches, do they?

Other than the mystery hawk and the usual
chickadee/titmouse/nuthatch/cardinal drill, there wasn't much to see. Bird
diversity was pretty low. Didn't see a single sparrow and only 2
woodpeckers. Had better variety under my feeders when I got home!

Karen Gray/Copley