OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:25:26 -0800
I got to do a nice loop of mostly open-country birding today.  Started at Coitsville Twp. in NE Mahoning Co.  and found 1 red-shouldered hawk, 3 red-tailed hawks (incl. a pair), and 1 Am. kestrel.  I was traveling to Portage Co. next, en route along I-76/80 from Youngstown to Brimfield I saw 6 red-tailed hawks and 1 Am. kestrel.  On my return trip in the afternoon, I went to L. Milton first.  There was only a tiny bit of open water at the north end by the dam.  You could see where it had thawed some recently, only to refreeze in the last couple days.  Besides some Canada geese and mallards, only 8 Am. black ducks and a pied-billed grebe were there.  The 4 bald eagles there (2 ad., 2 imm,) more than made up for the lack of waterfowl though!  At the south end of L. Milton where the Mahoning R. enters was more open water with 3 ring-necked ducks the only highlight.  Just south of here at the next Mahoning R. crossing was another imm. bald eagle.
 Also in this area were 2 red-tailed hawks, pileated woodpecker, 8 e. bluebirds, 2 yellow-rumped warblers, and Am. tree sparrows.  On to Berlin Res. next.  There was only a really tiny open water hole here, with 2 c. goldeneyes being the only ducks.  On the way to the south end of the lake I saw red-shouldered hawk, red-tailed hawk, Am. kestrel, e. bluebirds, 15 red-winged blackbirds, and brown-headed cowbird.  The southwest end of Berlin Res. in Stark Co. had an open channel where the Mahoning R. comes in.  Found there were 400 Canada geese, mallards, 3 great blue herons, and an adult bald eagle.  I continued towards the headwaters of the Mahoning R.  A red-shouldered hawk was at Lake Park WA, east of Alliance.  In NW Columbiana Co. I tallied 1 red-shouldered hawk, 4 red-tailed hawks, 2 Am. kestrels, 5 e. bluebirds, and the only Am. robin of the day.  Continuing east, I stopped at Franklin Square in N Columbiana Co.  Other than 250 Canada
 geese, not much there.  I angled towards home and made my last stop of the day at Evans L. in E Mahoning Co.  The open-water hole is still there, and held 300 Canada geese, 100 mallards, 8 Am. black ducks, a hen common merganser, ring-billed gulls, and 25 herring gulls.  Also in the area were a great blue heron and 2 red-tailed hawks.  So during the day over 100+ auto miles the raptor total was 6 bald eagles, 4 red-shouldered hawks, 18 red-tailed hawks, and 5 Am. kestrels.  Zero harriers though.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot there was a belted kingfisher at Berlin Res. too.  Craig Holt, Lowellville