OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:08:19 GMT
The discussion of house finches reminded me that I have been meaning to post this fact on the listserv since the beginning of January.

On December 28 the heavy snows and cold began at our farm in Muskingum County. I know this because our last decent day to ride the horses was December 27, my wife's birthday.

When that stormy and cold period began, house finches came to our feeder station in droves, and it has never ceased. Earlier in the autumn and run-up to real winter there were a few around, as there are every autumn, and year-round for that matter. But they now constitute the dominant species, supplanting even the house sparrows, which is surprising. I would guess that 70 or so house finches are in my "home" flock, but the number could be considerably more.

We feed only black oil sunflower, nyger and suet. My tentative conclusion is that my local population of Carpodacus mexicanus is very considerable, and that they persisted on wild foods prior to the late-December onset of real winter. It is also interesting to me that I see them quite often in their native land (southern California,) but they don't seem nearly as abundant there as in my Appalachian back yard.

Regarding the raptors: We have a red-shouldered hawk that has persisted through the deep snow period.

On my way to the Columbus Airport yesterday morning (a fifty mile drive) I spotted three red-tailed hawks, all adults, on structures (trees, wire, and pole) overlooking the freeway. Not a remarkable number by any means, and it is interesting in light of recent discussion that all were adults. It seems like I saw plenty of immature individuals this past autumn.

Regard the ebird vs. listserv accounts thread:

Obviously, the study and observation of birds is subject to individual taste and style. In spite of being overly analytical in other pursuits, both professional and non-professional, I have never been a heavy data collector when it comes to my birdwatching (I still call it that.) It's just not my angle. Nor is listing, although I more or less keep lists. I realize that collectively we have a tremendous pool of potential information among the participants in our field, but  that aspect is not for everyone. Some prefer the purely aesthetic joys of a hobby. Others like to count beaks. I am thrilled that there are those of you who gather data. I have sworn that one of these days I'm going to learn ebird (Note: I know it is not that difficult.) I also know that since I can discriminate between house and purple finches, red-headed and red-bellied woodpeckers, and field and American tree sparrows, that my data would have some value. The fact that others cannot make these distinctions, and that their misinformation can mask otherwise meaningful data, is somewhat sobering. The system isn't perfect, but it has merit and potential. So do reports in prose on the listserv. I may get aboard someday. This is the considered opinion of one educated in geology, and who often has been accused of trying to explain the scenery.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County