OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Sally/Dave Isacco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally/Dave Isacco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:44:58 -0500
With the January thaw,  the woods at Chagrin River Park was carpeted with birds.  I did not arrive till around noonish.  The most numerous being robins ( 80+ ).  Then I started seeing blackbirds.  On closer inspection,  they were all rusty blackbirds ( 18+ ).  They were on the ground foraging with the robins as well as in the tree tops preening in the glorious sunshine.  I did not even touch but a fraction of the path due to limited time restraints ( no maid at home to start supper ).  The robins were busy going through the leaf litter and did not seem to mind my presence but the rusties were far more cautious and kept their distance.  In just a short period of time,  I had at least 13 species;  just the usual suspects.  I did not even make it a third of the way around the usual loop I take.  The other interesting thing was watching a light juvenile redtail hawk eating his prey.  Without a scope, it was hard to tell what it was.  A very entertaining outing even though it was short lived.  I left around 2PM.

Sally Isacco
Chardon