OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:27:53 -0500
Greetings birders!

It was a nice treat to see 5 SNOW GEESE amongst the hundreds of Canada Geese
at Slate Run Metro Park's Buzzard's Roost Lake yesterday afternoon.  There
were 2 bright white adults and 3 juveniles with grayish heads.  They were
across the lake in the grasses, but easily observable from the trail that
goes down to the lake.

I stopped by the wetland to see if there was anything out there, but the
water is still pretty much frozen over, melty in some areas.

A red-breasted nuthatch visited the feeders at my Naturalist Office
yesterday as well, and the red-shouldered hawk that shows up every winter
has been seen every couple of days on the road to the Shady Grove Picnic
Area.  A cooper's hawk flies by my office every day, too.  The beautiful
adult is becoming a creature of habit as he arrives around the same time
every day but I've never seen him catch anything!

Slate Run Metro Park is in northeastern Pickaway County, just south of Canal
Winchester.  Go to http://www.metroparks.net for directions.

Andrea Haslage
Hub Naturalist, Slate Run Metro Park